Tuesday 17 April 2012

tanzania continues..

well, i was hoping to be updating this blog a little more often, however even when i am able to borrow some internet access from the Marine Park, the blogger did not seem to load!  But today was a lucky day and so i am able to write something!  but photos will have to wait until next week when i am back and able to post them.  i have so many amazing photos too!

i have been busy conducting interviews with fishers in two villages, one within the village I am staying at, and one on a nearby beautiful island.  The Marine Park have been amazingly helpful and great.  I have been interviewing with one of the marine park staff, who has been translating everything between us.  I have had tours by village chairmen, been shown around the area and been made to feel very welcome.

The fishers themselves have been great, all are very happy to talk to us and I have got lots of great information from them.  In addition, it is great to be on the beach when the fishers are bringing in their catch and seeing what there is, how it is sold etc.

for my last week, i am out on the water, conducting underwater reef fish surveys and looking at the overall reef health in some of the fishing zones, and protected zones.  The monsoon season winds are now here though so the sea is rougher, but also it brings a nice cooling wind.

I have also been able to join the marine park surveillance team on their fishery patrols, this was interesting to see how this side of things worked.

So my research time here has been very productive, with many insightful discussions, observations and data collections.  Also, being able to be in the local community, trying to learn Swahili and talk with everyone, playing with the local kids and seeing their everyday life has been wonderful to be a part of.  I have enjoyed cups of tea and great discussions with many people.

 I was invited to a local dinner and as a house gift I brought along a box of Yorkshire Tea!  They enjoyed the story about how the tea leaves are grown in Tanzania and then the the is made near me, and I brought them the finished product!  The local tea houses have wonderfully sweet spiced tea and I really enjoy having this.  Mafia Island is a lot of fun to be!

Back soon, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment